Comments

If you wish to add a comment to any of my articles please do so as I am always pleased to have a contribution from any reader as this increases the interest for other visitors.

Saturday 1 February 2014

Sainsbury's Spring Onions past their best.

My wife was preparing our lunch-time salad today when she asked me where I thought the spring onions, that we purchased from Sainsbury's in Lincoln yesterday (31st January 2014) were grown.

I'm not good at guessing games so need-less-to-say I got it wrong.


As you can see from the photograph of the label; attached to the 'spring onions bunch' as defined on our receipt issued at 10:35 hrs. on the 31st January 2014; they had been grown in Egypt.

I would now like to draw your attention to the 'Best Before' date on the label. I don't know about you, but when I'm picking one bunch of – what I thought were fresh – spring onions from an almost full box of the product I don't expect to have to check the BB date.

Why were Sainsbury's in Lincoln selling supposedly 'fresh and versatile' produce after its BB date, without warning its customers, at the normal price of £0.75 per bunch. I know it is not an 'Eat By' date but there is a principle here: isn't there? What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I shall be glad when they dispose of BB dates altogether. It is the cause of so much food wastage. I confess that I do read all the dates though, having been caught out once or twice ... not by Sainsbury's though.

    ReplyDelete

Please be courteous and add your name rather than 'Anonymous' to your comment, as it may not be published. In the 'Comment as' box above use the drop-down menu and select 'Name/URL'. In the 'Edit profile' pop-up enter your name and press continue. There will be a period of delay before your comment appears on the article until I receive the automatic notification that you have made one and can authorised its publication.

Any comment that includes vulgar language, racist remarks or anything of that nature will either be edited or not published at my discretion.