Comments

If you wish to add a comment to any of my articles please do so as I am always pleased to have a contribution from any reader as this increases the interest for other visitors.

Thursday 5 January 2012

God is not Great.




I have just finished reading Christopher Hitchens' book entitled 'God is not Great' (this link is to a chapter by chapter summary).

I have found it a very interesting but difficult book to read. Difficult in that the quality of writing highlighted my inadequacies in both English language and literature. This is a consequence of the failings of myself and the state secondary modern education schooling system at the time and not of the writer. There was a constant need for me to consult the dictionary to gain the full benefit of content. It is a good job that the Kindle for PC programme, via which I read the book, includes an easily accessed source of word clarification.

The reading of this book has not brought about a life changing belief but has added clarification to my long held rejection of the validity and belief in a religious faith. To use a quote of Christopher Hitchens when referring to himself and like thinkers, myself included, “Our belief is not a belief. Our principles are not a faith. We do not rely solely upon science and reason, because these are necessary rather than sufficient factors, but we distrust anything that contradicts science or outrages reason.”

It is a book that has a meaningful message for both, those who don't believe in the unproven, and those who believe in the unbelievable, and unsubstantiated. It is worth the time and effort to read it. Perhaps more than once to fully comprehend the full thesis put forward by 'Hitch'.

I think now is the time for me to read his autobiography 'Hitch – 22'.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous and add your name rather than 'Anonymous' to your comment, as it may not be published. In the 'Comment as' box above use the drop-down menu and select 'Name/URL'. In the 'Edit profile' pop-up enter your name and press continue. There will be a period of delay before your comment appears on the article until I receive the automatic notification that you have made one and can authorised its publication.

Any comment that includes vulgar language, racist remarks or anything of that nature will either be edited or not published at my discretion.